Manhattan Clam Chowder

It's been a while since we've had clam chowder, and I felt like making some, so I did. I prefer New England Clam Chowder - the creamy version - so that's what we usually have. However, sometimes it's good to mix things up, so we tried the tomato-y version this time. It was actually very good - much better than I remember. Maybe I'll mix them up more often!
Manhattan Clam Chowder

2 cans (6 oz.) minced clams
2-3 slices bacon, cut up
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed

Drain clams, reserving liquid. Add enough water to the liquid to measure 3 cups. In a large saucepan partially cook bacon; stir in celery (omitted because we didn't have any on hand) and onion and cook until tender. (I used bacon bits and skipped this step.) Stir in liquid mixture, undrained tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 30 minutes. If desired, mash slightly to thicken. Stir in the clams and heat through. Serves 4.

Comments