Black Bean Enchiladas

Usually when I'm in the mood for enchiladas, we just have a tortilla stack, because I decide that enchiladas are too time-consuming to make. However, the other day I was in the mood to make them correctly. They turned out wonderfully, and I just may make the effort again sooner rather than later! 


Enchiladas 

For the filling I combined some leftover cooked pork, black beans, grated cheddar cheese, diced red and green peppers and onions, a little salsa and some sour cream. Sorry I didn't measure, but this was a "clean out the refrigerator" meal!
 

For the sauce I used my adaptation of the Betty Crocker recipe. Combine a 15-oz can of tomato sauce, 2/3 cup water, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and a clove of garlic minced. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes. 
  To assemble, spoon a little sauce into a pie plate. Place a tortilla on top and add a little more sauce.
 
Add a spoonful of filling and roll up. Place in a baking pan and repeat the process.
 
Cover the enchiladas with the remaining sauce.
 
Then some cheese. (I ran out of cheddar and used Jack on top.)
 
Then bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes and serve.
 
If there are any leftovers, you can freeze them for a quick meal at a later date.

Comments