Oven Chicken and Rice

I can't believe we haven't posted this old standby favorite yet. This is Michelle's favorite way to have rice, and I love it because I can pop it in the oven before church, set it to time bake, and come home to a beautiful aroma! There are probably a lot of variations of this recipe, but I usually just
  • put 2 cups of rice in the bottom of my baking dish
  • top with some dried onion and parsley and salt (the original recipe was a package of onion soup mix, but I never use that)
  • combine a can or two of cream of mushroom/chicken soup with 3 cups of water/milk
  • pour it over the rice
  • then pieces of chicken (usually skinned but not boned thighs)
  • cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours or so

As you can see it's a very forgiving recipe, and if we want more rice, we start with more rice (and add a bit more liquid)!

Comments

  1. Today I'm trying 1 3/4 cup rice, 3 cups water, 1 can soup and 4 thighs in our white (tall-sided) casserole at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. I'm leaving this comment so I don't have to rethink it again next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another note - On my oven, I can choose a start time or a length time, but not both. That's important to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that we have morning church, today I baked this casserole at 350 degrees for 1 3/4 hours. It might even have been done at 1 1/2 hours, but we were in the middle of a phone call so I didn't check it then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment