Crustless Mini Quiches

This is a quiche recipe that turned out well enough to merit praise from the non-quiche-loving teenage son. That's pretty good! (He said the key was lots of cheese.)

Crustless Broccoli and Cheddar Mini Quiches

1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped broccoli (either frozen and thawed, or fresh and cooked)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Grease and lightly flour 12 regular muffin cups. Whisk together the milk, eggs, flour, salt and pepper until blended.
Stir in broccoli, bell pepper and cheese. Spoon into muffin cups, almost to the rim, stirring frequently to keep ingredients evenly distributed. Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Run knife around edges and carefully remove.

Note: I used our 6-muffin tin and cooked them for a bit longer. Also, since we had some cream that needed to be used, I substituted that (mixed with regular milk to equal 1 1/2 cups) for the evaporated milk. Next time I do this, I'll fill the muffin cups with the vegie/cheese mixture and then pour the liquid over it. I think that will be easier and less messy.

Another note: Trying to scale this down for two, and using this post as inspiration, I used 1/3 of the above liquid mixture, but added Swiss cheese, chopped turkey and a bit of bacon bits to give it a Quiche Lorraine flavor. I'll serve vegetables on the side this time. And I baked it in a large ramekin.

Comments