Green Enchiladas

We didn't have your typical St. Patrick's Day dinner this year, mainly because we really don't care for corned beef. Instead, we tried something new -

Chicken Enchiladas with Green Tomatilla Sauce.

It was actually pretty good. And I learned how to use tomatillos. Although I looked at a couple of recipes to get some ideas, I really didn't measure ingredients. This is one of those dishes that doesn't need to be exact.Here are the tomatillos after being cooked. The recipe said to boil them, but since we discovered the joys of roasting, that's what I did. If we had had a spare onion, I would have roasted that as well. Instead, we used dehydrated onions. And the recipe called for a couple jalapeño peppers. We had some poblano peppers that needed to be used, so that was another substitution (only one and it was plenty spicy!). I puréed all the vegetables (tomatillos, onions, pepper and garlic) and then added some chicken broth to make the sauce.
The filling was cooked chicken, some cheddar cheese, little diced onion (dehydrated), sour cream (about 1/4 cup), and some of the sauce (another 1/4 cup).
Put a generous spoonful on the tortilla, roll up, and place in the lightly greased baking dish. Technically you'd dip the tortillas in the sauce first, but I like the short-cut method.
Cover with the sauce (not quite as green as I wanted because poblano peppers are red!) and pop in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes.
Top with some more cheese and you're done. Yummy!

I decided to make these again today, and after seven years, I needed a little bit more guidance on actual amounts, so here they are. 

1 cup chopped onion
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves
1 lb tomatillo, washed and cut in halves
1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
1-2 teaspoons chili powder
4 ounces canned, diced green chilies
about 2 cups chicken broth (can add more if it's too thick)
1 teaspoon salt

This was more than enough for a panful of eight enchiladas. I also added some leftover corn to the filling. We'll see how it tastes!

Comments