Coconut Cookies

In trying to find a "Heritage Recipe" to share, I turned to the back section of our recipe binder where there were a few recipes my mom sent us years ago. A lot of them were variations of Christmas Pudding (my thoughts on that are deserving of their own post!) but this Coconut Cookie recipe looked like it was worth a try. Because my family doesn't care for coconut, I figured the cookies would be safe for the 24 hours before I took them to Relief Society. I figured wrong! Everyone actually liked them, so I had to guard them vigilantly. (Fortunately, I brought home a few leftovers.) The recipe came from a little booklet my grandmother, Ethel Beckstrand, compiled while serving their mission in Australia in the early 1960s. Coconut Cookies

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, margarine or shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup shredded coconut

Combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. Cream butter and sugars. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients and coconut. Make into 1 1/2" diameter rolls in wax paper and chill for a few hours. Slice and bake at 425° for 5 minutes. Makes 3-4 dozen.

Comments