Healthy Superbowl Treat

We don't watch the Superbowl here, but we're always looking for healthy "television watching" snacks.  Today we found a new one and figured we'd share it with you.  We want you to be healthy too!

The idea came when trying to come up with something low-calorie for our picnic lunch, and we settled on cucumber sandwiches, the type without any bread.  The pictures we saw all had something white peeking out between the cucumber slices, so I went looking for what that might be.  Hummus was one of the options, but we don't have any.  Then I found this recipe for Cucumber Bites at Annie's Eats.  Since her cupcakes were so delicious, I figured maybe this would be as well.  Unfortunately, I don't stock Boursin Cheese in my fridge (although now I'm intrigued and I think I'll buy some soon).  It sounded close to cream cheese, so that's what we used.

I combined 2 ounces of cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of cream, and added a dash each of dill weed, parsley, garlic powder and salt.  Then I sliced up some cucumber and tomatoes.  I learned that the cucumbers needed to be dried off (a paper towel worked well) in order for the cheese mixture to stick.  I ran out of tomatoes before cucumbers, but I actually preferred the ones without tomato slices.  Wayne preferred the ones with tomatoes, and also decided that adding a slice of pickle would make them even better.  We brought home a couple from our picnic to test that theory, and he really liked the "kick" they added.

So, when you're in the mood for something to munch on without eating a lot of calories, give these a try!

Comments

  1. Those do look good. Boursin is really good, too. Everything I've tried so far from Annie's Eats has been mighty tasty, and it's one of my favorite food blogs. Next time you're looking for a cupcake recipe, I highly recommend her fauxstess cupcakes. Also her linguine with clams, though I thicken the sauce with flour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment