Sweet Garlic Chicken - A Pinterest Experiment

I'm always on the look-out for quick and easy meals, so when Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken showed up on my Pinterest feed (or whatever it's called), I added it to my "Main Dishes to Try" board.  This week we finally had a chance to try it and it IS quick and easy.
As suggested by one of the reviewers, I started by browning the chicken breasts in a touch of olive oil before transferring them to a foil-lined baking pan. I also seasoned them with salt and pepper at that point.  Once the chicken was removed (I did it in two batches because I was making enough for company), I added a little bit more oil, and sautéed some chopped onion, and several minced garlic cloves.  I also added some grated fresh ginger, since Wayne wanted something Oriental to go over rice for dinner that day. Then I mixed in some brown sugar and a little bit of soy sauce.  Sorry I don't have measurements, but this is a "just do what looks right" recipe.
Then I spread the sauce on the chicken and popped the pan into a 450° oven, checking them after 20 minutes, and cooking until they were done.  (These were giant, thick chicken breasts, so they took about 35 minutes to cook through.)
From the pictures I had seen, I was expecting these to be fairly dry (which is why we had a plum sauce on the side ready to serve).  However, the chicken must not have been thoroughly thawed, or I did something else wrong, because there was quite a bit of liquid in the pan.
Don't worry.  I chopped up the leftover chicken, thickened that delicious broth, stirred in the leftover plum sauce and we had it for dinner (on the leftover rice!) a couple of days later.  That was pretty yummy, too.

Comments