The Great Chocolate Chip Muffin Experiment

Did we tell you that Michelle is the ward choir director for the summer?  Anyway, she's doing an awesome job, and she wanted to reward the faithful choir members with some muffins last Sunday.  Her first choice would have been blueberry muffins, but we forgot to add blueberries to the shopping list.  Oops!  So, she decided to go with chocolate chip muffins.  Our usual chocolate chip muffin recipe also has bananas in it - Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins - but Michelle doesn't like banana muffins, so I went searching for a new recipe.  I narrowed it down to two - one here and one here.  Since we needed two dozen, I decided to make both and compare.  Even though I was pretty sure both of them had too many chocolate chips for our taste, I followed the recipe!  
The first recipe made drier muffins, but I liked the idea of sprinkling them with sparkling sugar, so if I make them again, the following is the adaptation that I'll use.
The "sprinkling" sugar I had on hand.

Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter or margarine, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup buttermilk (or soured milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or up to 1 cup regular sized)
sugar sprinkles

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.  Combine liquid ingredients in large measuring cup.  Stir into dry ingredients, then add chocolate chips.  Spoon into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups.  Sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 375° for 17-20 minutes.

Comments