Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes

The other day I was asked to take dinner to a family in our ward that is on a gluten-free diet. Since dinner really isn't complete without dessert (especially when you're delivering it to someone else), and since all of my standard desserts contain flour, it was time to turn to the internet for help.  Fortunately, I discovered I had plenty of options!

The first time (this was for a surgery with a long recovery period!) I made Rennie's Delicious Rice Pudding. This time I tried these Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes. The pudding was better (what wouldn't be with a ton of cream?), but these were good too.  If you served them right out of the oven, they might taste just like Steven's Volcano Cakes, especially if you cut the baking time by a couple of minutes.

Gluten-free Chocolate Cupcakes

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (or 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips)
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
pinch salt
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Pre-heat the oven to 375° and line a cupcake tin with paper liners. Melt the chocolate and butter together. Combine the sugar, cocoa and salt and stir into the melted mixture.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 14 minutes.


Note: Time to make another gluten-free dessert, but I don't feel like making cupcakes. I figured this could be made as a cake, and I was right. It's basically the same recipe as King Arthur Flour's Flourless Chocolate Cake. Bake in an 8" round cake pan for 25 minutes.

They also add a ganache topping - 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1/2 cup heavy cream melted together. Since it appears to be a fairly thick frosting, I'm going to cut it in half and drizzle instead of spread it, plus top with berries and dust with powdered sugar. At least, that's the plan!


It works without the ganach topping as well. We've tried it plain with raspberries, and also with hot fudge sauce drizzled on first. Scrumptious! A perfect holiday dessert!!

Comments