Jamaican Jerk Pork with Rasta Pasta

Ready for another story on how dinner came to be? I had thawed pork chops for dinner, but hadn't decided how to cook them. Wayne suggested using our Jamaican jerk seasoning and that sounded like a great idea. I had already decided I wanted to try roasted carrots and parsnips (to use up the vegetables in the crisper). There were also some plain, cooked noodles that I wanted to use, so I turned to Google to find something that would coordinate with jerk seasoning. I thought the islanders pretty much stuck with rice and beans, so was pleasantly surprised to find a Jamaican pasta recipe. It looked like it would be a perfect fit, and it was.

Jamaican Jerk Pork Chops with Rasta Pasta

Sauté chopped scallions (or onions), red pepper, and garlic in a bit of olive oil. (You decide how much!) Add salt, pepper and basil to taste, along with some chopped fresh tomato. Stir in pre-cooked pasta of your choice. Push to the side of the pan, and add a bit more oil. Sprinkle Jamaican jerk seasoning on both sides of the pork chops (lightly or heavily depending on your tolerance for heat), add to pan and cook until done. Serve over the pasta.

Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

Peel carrots and parsnips and chop into bite-sized pieces. Place in baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and pepper and minced garlic to taste; toss. Bake at 425° for about 30 minutes.

Note: I only cooked two pork chops, but I mixed the leftover vegetables and pasta and we really liked that combination when served with some chicken later in the week.

Comments