Mashed Cauliflower au Gratin

I tore this recipe out of an old magazine, but before I throw the scrap of paper away, I figured I'd copy it down. The little blurb next to the picture states "unless someone tells you, you might not know you're eating cauliflower." Well, I definitely knew I was eating cauliflower, which is okay because I like it. However, maybe I should have cooked it longer so it mashed up better. As it was, it was a nice variation to plain old cauliflower.

Mashed Cauliflower au Gratin

1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded Colby/Monterey Jack cheese
(Note: I used a 4-cheese Mexican blend because that's what was in the refrigerator already.)
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning
1/4 cup bread crumbs

Place the cauliflower in a stock pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes or until very tender. Drain and mash. Stir in everything else but the bread crumbs. Transfer mixture to a greased casserole and sprinkle with the bread crumbs. (They can be combined with 2 tablespoons of melted butter first if you wish.) Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Serves 6.
It complemented our Sweet Potato Casserole and Creamy Balsamic Chicken for dinner quite nicely.

Comments