Grandma Pulley's Rice Pudding

I've had this recipe for over 30 years, and although I have tried it a couple of times, I've never been able to quite duplicate the childhood memory. I'll keep trying though!


Rice Pudding

1/2 cup rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla

Boil rice in the salted water until the water is absorbed. Stir in the sugar and milk and simmer for 25 minutes. Then add the eggs and vanilla and pour into a 1 1/2 quart bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Cool

That's the original recipe from my mother-in-law, and it just always turned out too liquidy. Here are my adjustments, based on my experience with a friend's rice pudding recipe:
  • Only use 1 cup water when cooking the rice at first.
  • Use whole milk, or add a bit of cream to low-fat milk.
  • Add the milk a cup at a time, kind of like cooking risotto
  • It will be simmering for a lot longer than 25 minutes (maybe an hour or more).
  • Combine the eggs and vanilla with the last cup of milk.

Comments