Tempura

We celebrated our son's recent graduation at a Japanese restaurant. I'm not necessarily a fan of sushi, so I was planning on having some tempura. However, instead of ordering individual dinners, we decided to go the "sushi boat" route (and that was fine, and surprisingly delicious). It also meant my tempura craving was left unsatisfied, but that was easily fixed at home. A few years ago, after the last sushi boat experience, we had some leftover sashimi, and so we tried tempura at home to use it up. I remember it being quite delicious, but I didn't remember where I had stashed the recipe! After I found a new one to try, I discovered the old one; they're pretty much the same. But now it's here so I can find it again in the future!


Tempura Batter

1 cup flour (could substitute cornstarch for about 1/4 cup of it)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup COLD water (could substitute club soda for all of it)

Combine all ingredients. Don't overmix. Keep cold (can place in an ice bath). Sprinkle desired vegetables (zucchini slices, mushrooms, asparagus, julienned carrots, cauliflower, green beans, sweet potato slices, etc.) and/or meat (shrimp, fish, beef, chicken) with a dusting of cornstarch. Then dip in cold batter. Using a fork, chopstick or slotted spoon, remove from batter and carefully place in hot oil. Cook for a couple of minutes, then remove with tongs or slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with dipping sauce.


Tempura Sauce

2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine (mirin)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallions
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine all ingredients.

Found the recipe!

Comments