Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars

While going through an old SD card I noticed pictures of these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars. I'm guessing I felt like making these one day and discovered I hadn't posted the recipe. It's taken me another year or so to do that, but I'm making progress! It's a recipe I tried for the first time about six months into our marriage, using the BH&G Cookbook we received as a wedding gift, and it was a go-to recipe when the boys were in elementary school. It's not one I'll make very frequently now, but I will return to it from time to time. After all, with both peanut butter and oats, it must be at least a little healthy, right? (Besides, I need  to add a picture of an individual cookie!)


Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars

for the bars:
1 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

for the topping:
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

for the glaze:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons milk

Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt and set aside. Cream the butter, then add the sugars and beat until fluffy. Add the egg, peanut butter, milk and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the dry ingredients until smooth. Spread in a greased 9x13" pan and bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over top; let stand until softened (just a few minutes) then spread evenly. Cool.

I don't know that I had ever heard of this technique until trying this recipe. It works!

To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar and peanut butter, then gradually add milk to reach the desired consistency. Drizzle over top of bars. Let stand several hours before cutting into pieces.

Comments