Pumpkin Fluff

Time for another gluten-free dessert, and I was leaning towards rice pudding, but then felt it would be too dense and heavy. This recipe might work, but I'm not positive pudding mix is gluten-free, and I want a little substance in our dessert. So, I decided to see if substituting pumpkin pureé for apricot pureé in tapioca pudding would work. My hypothesis is that it will, and I'm looking forward to trying it. In my search, I found this recipe Wayne made years ago. I think I'll add some pecans to this week's version as well.


Pumpkin-Pecan Tapioca Fluff

2 eggs, separated
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup minute tapioca
2 cups milk
2 cups pumpkin pureé
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually the sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Set aside.

Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, tapioca, milk, pumpkin and egg yolks in medium saucepan. Let stand 5 minutes.

Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full boil. Remove from heat.
Quickly stir egg white mixture into hot tapioca in saucepan until well blended. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Cool 20 minutes; stir.

Serve warm or chilled. For creamier pudding, place plastic wrap on surface of pudding while cooling. Stir before serving. Store leftover pudding in refrigerator. Serves 8. (Note: easily halved for 4 servings.)

Comments