Whole Grain Pancakes

I can't believe this recipe isn't on the blog already, but I'm not finding it, so here we go. I'm pretty sure I originally found this recipe in a magazine or blog post and I really like it because I feel the whole grains make this at least a kind-of healthy option for pancakes. And because I've waited so long to post this, I have some cute models to help make it more fun.


Oat Pancakes

2/3 cup oats (or oat flour)
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (or soured milk*)
2 tablespoons oil (or melted butter)
1 egg

Combine the dry ingredients. Combine the liquid ingredients. Gently mix together. Cook on a hot griddle and serve immediately.


Pancakes don't really make good leftovers (although when our oldest sons were little, I'd take a couple to church for their snacks; I felt they were less crumbly than other options) so here's what I use for just the two of us:

1/4 cup each oat, wheat and white flours
1/4 teaspoon each salt and baking soda
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup soured milk

*Add one tablespoon vinegar to a scant 1 cup of milk and let sit for a few minutes.

Comments