Banana Cream Pie

It's been a while since we've had a banana cream pie, and when I served a dessert last week that I knew wouldn't be his favorite, I decided that this week I should make one Wayne likes. Besides, I had a lot of egg yolks leftover from making that Pavlova! Usually my cream pies don't set up very well, so instead of using the one from my regular cookbook, I looked for a new recipe. Here's the one I tried, at least for the filling, and at least before making my own adjustments!


Banana Cream Pie 

3 cups whole milk
(or 2 3/4 cup 1% milk plus 1/4 cup cream)
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 nicely ripened bananas
9" graham cracker or baked pie crust*

In a large saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt. (It helps to mix the sugar and cornstarch before stirring in the milk.) Bring just to a boil, stirring constantly, until thick. Add part of that mixture to the egg yolks, stir to incorporate, then add back to the pan and cook an additional couple of minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.


Slice the bananas and layer in the pie crust. Top with the custard filling. Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface to help prevent browning, then chill for several hours until firm. Garnish with whipped cream and additional banans before serving, if desire.

*To use an 8" crust, make 3/4 of the filling (2 1/4 cups milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3 egg yolks and a dash of vanilla).


When I have perfectly ripe bananas that we won't be eating right away, I stick them in the freezer to use in smoothies. Just peel, break in half (just to make it easier to use later), stick in a freezer bag, seal and freeze. Simple!

Comments