Oven Fried Chicken

I thought for sure I’d already shared this recipe, but I’m not finding it, and if I can’t find it, I imagine you can’t either. So, here you go!

Oven Fried Chicken

Technically, I guess this is a process and not a recipe. You’ll need three bowls. Put some seasoned flour in the first one, some milk in the second one, and seasoned bread crumbs in the third. Take your chicken pieces and dredge them with the flour, dip them in the milk, then roll them in the crumbs. Place on a rack in a baking dish and bake until done. Today I used a 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Other times I’ve used 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. It all depends upon what else you’re baking or roasting.

before baking

I usually just put salt and pepper in the flour. There’s been more variety in the seasonings for the bread crumbs. A typical combination includes salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano or Italian seasoning, and parsley, maybe some paprika for color. Often I’ll substitute Parmesan cheese for part of the bread crumbs (up to a 50/50 mixture works). Wayne actually prefers corn flake crumbs instead of bread crumbs; however, we don’t usually have corn flakes in the pantry, and we always have dried bread in the freezer. Cracker crumbs work also. This is a great way to use things up.

P.S. If you put the bread crumb mixture in a bag, and shake the chicken, you’ve just made your own Shake & Bake! Here's a combination we've tried before and liked. (You can also substitute bread or cracker crumbs, or even wheat flour or cornmeal for the cornflake crumbs.) We like using it on chicken thighs. Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes; using a rack prevents the bottoms from getting soggy.

Homemade Shake and Bake Coating

  • 9 cups cornflake crumbs 
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon parsley
  • 2 teaspoons sage
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Comments