Sausage Gravy over White Bean Puree

Time to use up some of the white bean pureé that’s been in the freezer for several months! The last time I looked up recipes for this purpose, I focused on pork chops; this time I wanted to use kielbasa. Here’s the inspiration recipe for today – Sausage Gravy over White Bean Puree.

You can go to the original recipe to get the exact process, but basically just brown some sausages, add some chopped onions and peppers and garlic, and simmer for a while, adding broth or tomato juice until it looks right. Today I added one 16-oz. can of diced tomatoes and 2 cups of chicken broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, and let it boil for a half hour or so to evaporate and reduce. It turned out deliciously!

I felt like this deliciousness needed something better than just plain bean pureé. Getting ideas from a recipe on my earlier post, I added some mashed potatoes (about a 1-1 ratio), parsley, basil, garlic powder and, a new-to-me-ingredient, Queso Fresco. Success! 

This made a great base for our sausage mixture, but we decided it would also make a decent bean dip. What do you think?

Comments