Strawberry Pie

After a simple and delicious (yes, it’s possible to have both) Sunday steak dinner, I mentioned to Wayne that I hadn’t planned a dessert, but there were chocolate chip cookies in the freezer, or I would be happy to bake something of his choice, noting that because we had a pretty well stocked pantry, the chances were good (although not 100%) that I could make whatever he wanted. His first request was pie, with a berry pie at the top of the list. Of course, that would be a dessert that I normally have to plan on before shopping day; however, we did have strawberries in the freezer. Normally I use fresh berries for my pies, but I figured it was time to experiment with frozen ones. I also normally make a one-crust, unbaked pie when using berries, but decided to give a two-crust, baked version a try since that’s Wayne’s preference. I found a recipe on the Taste of Home website. Here’s the result!

Double Crust Strawberry Pie

Prepare a double crust. For the filling, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon gently mixed with 4-6 cups sliced strawberries. Pour into bottom crust, top with second crust and flute edges. Cut a couple of slits, brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes. Cool one hour before serving.

Notes: I only thawed the berries enough to separate and slice them. The pie turned out to be quite liquid-y, so I need to bake another one, thawing the strawberries all the way and draining them before putting them in the crust. We ate the first pieces after just an hour of cooling on the counter; the ones the next day, after being in the refrigerator overnight, were a bit firmer. I also like the idea of brushing the crust with milk and sprinkling with sugar.

Comments