Pumpkin Cornbread

It’s been a few years, so I forgot that I had once tried pumpkin cornbread (see here) and decided I didn’t need to make it again! However, the recipe I tried this month is a bit different. We still aren’t real fans of cornbread in general, but I actually didn’t mind this version, and it is a great way to help use up pumpkin. I adapted the recipe I found on Serious Eats, trying to make it even more healthy and nutritious. 

Pumpkin Cornbread

  • 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup pumpkin
  • 1 cup milk

Combine the dry ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients. Combine two mixtures. Place a 9″ iron skillet in the oven and pre-heat it to 400°. Remove the skillet; add a tablespoon of butter; stir to melt, then pour in the cornbread batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with chili and/or honey butter.

Cinnamon Honey Butter – Combine 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional), and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

While contemplating the cornmeal and pumpkin combination options, I discovered another contender. Here it is so I can find it again.

Pumpkin Sage Polenta – Combine 3 cups water and 1/2 cup pumpkin pureé with 1 cup of cornmeal, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of sage. Cook until thick, then stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons butter.

Comments