Christmas Fudge

It’s been a month since the Christmas baking, and now I’m trying to record my scribbles so I can remember next year what worked last year! Hooray for desk clean-up day!!

Ree’s Fudge

Melt together 3 cups of chocolate chips and 1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk. Pour into a foil-lined 8″ square pan and chill until firm.

Note that this really doesn’t get very firm, but it does set up. And it’s super easy to make! To make a layered fudge, I combined half the can of milk with regular chocolate chips and half with white almond bark (about 1 1/2 cups or 10 ounces of each), melting them in two different pans. After pouring the chocolate mixture on the bottom, and then the white mixture next, I sprinkled chopped candy canes all over the top.

I also saw a similar variation, where someone added mint flavoring and green food coloring to the white chocolate layer, and finished with a ganache topping – made by melting 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon shortening together – instead of using crushed candy canes.

I made one batch of our regular Fantasy Fudge, adding chopped Oreos instead of nuts. That recipe only uses half a can of evaporated milk, so I usually make two batches. However, I didn’t check the pantry before going to the store, and I only had one jar of marshmallow creme. Google came to the rescue, letting me know that I could use regular marshmallows as a substitute. It worked! Some sites said to melt the marshmallows with a bit of corn syrup, but that sounded too complicated. I just stirred in the marshmallows (about 4 1/2 cups – or 7 ounces worth) when it was time to stir in marshmallow creme, and the fudge turned out deliciously. I also used up the rest of our candy canes on top of this batch.

Comments