Chili Cheese Enchiladas

Back at their house we had a delicious dinner of Chili Cheese Enchiladas, a meal served often when Cody was a girl, but something I’ve never had before. We’ll need to fix that. I could just ask her for the recipe, but since I like experimenting in the kitchen, maybe I’ll try recreating it on my own first.  I’m guessing combining elements from each of these recipes – here and here – will do the trick.

That’s what I recorded after our visit in Montana. The time came to do some experimenting, and I was happy with the results. In addition to creating the sauce, I also tried making my own tortillas, seeing if making a combination corn tortilla/flour tortilla was possible. Wayne prefers flour tortillas, but Cody used corn tortillas. Wayne would still rather have this recipe made with flour tortillas, but I don’t mind the corn tortilla version, and I thought this turned out well. So, here you go!

First off, I got to purchase something for the very first time, a can of chili without beans! I looked at several different tortilla recipes, but ended up using one I’ve used before, with one cup each of wheat flour, white flour, and cornmeal. Fill the tortillas with grated cheddar cheese and finely chopped onion, then roll up and place in a baking dish.

Top with the enchilada gravy and bake covered for 20 minutes at 350. Top with grated cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.

Enchilada Gravy

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups beef stock
1 can (15 ounce) chili without beans

Cook oil and flour together until bubbly and brown, then stir in all the spices. Add the beef stock and bring to a boil; cook til thickened. Stir in the chili.

Comments