Indecision Cookies

A while ago I posted a link to a cookie recipe that we quite liked; however, I didn’t post the actual recipe. I’ve learned over the years that sometimes internet links disappear, and I want to be able to make these again, so I figured it was time for a new post. Besides, I made a couple of variations, so now it’s “my” recipe. I gave it this name because this is the cookie to make if you can’t decide between chocolate chip, peanut butter, or oatmeal cookies.

This time around I also conducted an experiment, making one batch with butter (on the left) and one with margarine (on the right). I couldn’t see or taste a difference, although Wayne thought the ones with butter were a bit more grainy. Most of the time we prefer making cookies with margarine – they seem to be a bit more puffy and chewy – and it was nice to learn that we can do that for this recipe as well.

Indecision Cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup peanut butter chips

Place butter or margarine and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl and cook at low power for a minute or two to melt, then stir until combined. Stir in white sugar, brown sugar, egg, egg yolk and vanilla. (Make sure it's cooled down a bit before adding the egg, which is why adding the sugar first is a good idea.)

Combine flour, salt and baking powder and add to mixture. Carefully stir in oats, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. 

Chill for an hour or two, if desired. (Not really necessary if you use margarine instead of butter.)

Place by spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet (or use a silicone mat, which is my preference), and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Comments