A Childhood Memory

Sunday evening Wayne suggested we play a game and have some scones. That sounded like a great idea, particularly since it’s something we often did on Sunday evenings when I was growing up. It’s been a long time since we’ve had scones, but I recall my mother using her basic yeast dinner roll recipe. I knew we didn’t need an entire batch, and we also wanted them fairly immediately, so I found a simple recipe that didn’t require a lot of rising time. Even that recipe was too large, but I knew I didn’t want to eliminate the egg, so I cracked one open, beat it up, put half in the dough, and saved the other half to add to scrambled eggs the next morning.

In between rounds of Phase 10, I mixed up the dough, let it raise a bit, and fried them up. Even with a small batch, it was more than we needed, but they were super delicious, and provided a great new memory. In addition, even though I wasn’t focusing totally on the game, I still managed to win. That doesn’t happen very often!

After cutting out the circles, rather than re-rolling the dough, I just fried the odd-shaped scraps. That was fun, and reminded me of a funnel cake. 

Small Batch Fried Scones

1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 egg beaten
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Let set a few minutes until foamy. Stir in oil and egg. Then add flour and salt. Knead and add additional flour if necessary to form a soft dough.

Let rise for about 30 minutes. Then roll out to about 1/2" thick, cut into circles, and fry in hot oil. Serve hot with butter, honey, jam, powdered sugar, or you own favorite toppings.

Comments