Honey Walnut Shrimp

We enjoyed the new shrimp recipe we tried last week so much we were ready to try another one this week. So, we did, and I really liked Honey Walnut Shrimp. It’s not something I think I would have chosen to order at a restaurant before, but maybe I will in the future. In the meantime, if I ever have a hankering for Honey Walnut Shrimp, I know what to do! Now you do, too.

Honey Walnut Shrimp

2 servings

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 pound shrimp peeled
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon cream
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • oil for frying
  • 1 green onion sliced
  • hot cooked rice

Combine water and sugar into a small pan and bring to a boil. Stir in the walnuts and simmer for two minutes. Remove the nuts and set aside to cool.

Salt and pepper the shrimp. Dip into the egg, then the cornstarch. coating thoroughly. Fry in hot oil for a few minutes until cooked through. Drain on paper towels.

Combine the mayonnaise, cream and honey. Toss with the shrimp, then stir in the walnuts. 

Serve over hot cooked rice and garnish with green onions.

With this recipe we also tried another new one. It was very similar to Korean Fried Cauliflower, so I thought we’d like it. We did like it, but I think we prefer our previous recipe. However, this one – Sublime Cauliflower Fitto Misto – did have a recipe for a Sweet Chili Sauce. I’ll keep this around in case I ever need to make my own; it’s super simple.

Sweet Chili Sauce

  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons dried red chili flakes
  • 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon paprika

Combine water, chili flakes and garlic in a small pan and bring to a boil. Stir in sugar, vinegar and paprika. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened a bit.

Our dinner was quite monochromatic, but it was still scrumptious!

And our view was gorgeous!!

Comments