Rice Pilaf

We're having Dutch Oven Fried Fish again tonight - this time with cod - and Wayne requested Rice Pilaf as an accompaniment. This is something I've made for decades, without a recipe, but I thought I should document how I do it.

In addition, mine is usually quite plain - just rice and onions and chicken broth - so I looked for a few ideas on how to make it a little more special. Alton Brown's version was just too fancy, and involved a towel, inversion, and the oven; we'll skip that one for now. The recipe from Carlsbad Cavern included pasta; we already have a Rice-a-Roni recipe that we like. Besides, although there were several recipes with both pasta and rice, which means I may be wrong, I think a true rice pilaf should be made with only rice. I did take some ideas from Simply Recipes, including using seasoning salt and adding celery and parsley.

So, here's the process:

Saute the dry rice in a tablespoon or two of olive oil until golden. Add chopped onions and celery and cook until limp. Then stir in chicken broth (2:1 ratio of broth to rice), season as desired, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook until the rice is done, about 30 minutes. Stir in some fresh, chopped parsley, top with a pat of butter, and serve.

Comments