Buns for Burgers

Sloppy Joes (leftovers from this recipe) are on the menu for tonight, but we don't have any hamburger buns in the house, and I don't want to go to the store. That calls for trying something new! I tried looking for something that included both potatoes and oat flour - no success. So, I'm adapting this recipe. We'll see how it turns out! (They turned out great - a bit denser than I was hoping, but still perfect for our sandwiches.)

Whole Grain Potato Buns

  • 2 cups white flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1/2 cup potato flakes
  • 1/4 cup dry milk powder
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons instant yeast*
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 egg, separated, optional
  • 1 cup warm water
  • sesame seeds (or "everything bagel" seed mix), optional

Combine all the dry ingredients (except seeds), then cut in the butter. Stir in egg yolk and water and knead for several minutes. Place in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled, 1-2 hours.

Divide dough into 6-8 pieces and form into balls, placing on baking sheet. Gently press down. Let rise another 60-90 minutes.

Carefully brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with seeds. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.

*Normally I use regular dry yeast. However, the original recipe called for instant yeast, and I have some, so I used that. If you only have regular yeast, soften it in the warm water before adding to the flour mixture.

I thought these were dense because of the wheat and oat flours, but we tried an all-white-flour version and they were still pretty heavy. I wonder if there's really a way to make light burger buns at home.

Comments