Bean with Bacon Soup

Just reading the title takes me back to my childhood. Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup was one of my favorite lunches. (During elementary school we walked home for lunch.) Tonight's version (taken from Pioneer Woman's recipe) wasn't quite the same as I remember, but mainly because I used pinto beans instead of white beans, but it was still pretty good.

And since I didn't really measure, you don't need to either. Cook some bacon. Remove when crisp, and drain out most of the grease (but not all). Add some chopped carrots, onions and celery, then a bit of garlic, a couple of bay leaves, and 2-3 tablespoons of tomato paste. Pour in a few cups each of pork or chicken broth and cooked white or pinto beans. Simmer until cooked and heated through. Blend to thicken, then stir in the bacon (or ham or pork). Garnish with crumbled bacon and/or chopped tomato.

Comments