Chicken and Worms with Trees

Happy April Fool's Day!

I don't believe in playing tricks on others, but I don't mind serving wacky foods. So, for dinner today we had Chicken and Worms with Trees. Tastewise, it's not one of our favorite casseroles, but it was more than adequate for our celebration this year. Maybe we'll even have it again on some future April Fool's Day.

Here's the original recipe from my file; however, I made a few adjustments. Instead of opening cans of milk and soup, I made a white sauce. There were some mushrooms in the refrigerator that needed to be used, so I sauteed them with some onions and added to the white sauce. The chow mein noodles I used were left over from our last Chinese take-out. Oh, and I added some cooked quinoa as well. What changes would you make?

Chicken and Worms

  • 1 bag chow mein noodles
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup sliced olives
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Combine everything and place in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake 5 more minutes. Serves 6.


This was also a great recipe for using up the last of the dehydrated chicken bits given to me at a Relief Society meeting long ago.


P.S. I'm not ready to do its own post, but also written on this piece of scrap paper was the recipe for Spaghettios - just combine cooked "ring" pasta (otherwise known as anelinni) with canned tomato soup. I loved Spaghettios as a child, so I want to keep the memory alive, but it's not something I plan on fixing any time soon. Although, since apparently December 11th is National Noodle Ring Day, maybe I'll fix it then!

Comments