Chicken Meatloaf Parmesan

Fast Sunday is always a good day to try something I'm not sure Wayne will like, so today was the perfect day to use up some ground chicken that's been in the freezer for awhile. (I purchased it for this recipe, but didn't use the entire package.) Wayne doesn't care for meatloaf, but I like it, so every year or two I make some. He does like Chicken Parmesan, so I thought he might like this recipe. I defintely liked it, and he ate it without complaining, but he would have liked it more if I had served the meatloaf with extra marinara sauce; I'll have to remember that in the future.

Meatloaf Parmesan

  • 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 pounds ground chicken
  • 1/2 cup marinara sauce 
  • 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Cook the onions and garlic in the oil until tender, then set aside to cool completely. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup bread crums, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, the milk, egg, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon parsley and salt. Stir in the onion mixture and the chicken and mix well.

Form 2/3 of the mixture into an 8x4" rectangle on a greased piece of aluminum foil. Make an indentation down the center and place 1/2 of the Mozzarella cheese in it. Top with remaining meat mixture and form into a loaf, then place (foil included) into a 9x5" loaf pan. Spread marinara sauce on top and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.

Remove from the oven and drain off extra liquid. Top with the remaining Mozzarella cheese. Combine the butter with the remaining bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Sprinkle on top and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes.

Let set for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional marinara sauce if desired. Makes 6-8 servings.

Comments