German Pork Chops

 

I pulled some pork chops from the freezer for Sunday dinner, and since there was some leftover cabbage to eat, I then googled "German pork chops" for inspiration on how to cook them. Here's my variation, combining several different ideas.

Carmelize some sliced onions in bacon drippings. Coat the pork chops with Dijon mustard, then flour, then add to the pan. Note that when I turned these, the coating all fell off, so I won't do that again. When cooked through, stir in a bit of sherry cooking wine and heavy cream (very similar to our recent Creamy Marsala Pork), then serve with the cabbage.

While making this, I used one of my favorite kitchen tricks, which is adding some water to a jar of sauce - in this case the mustard bottle - in order to get out every little bit. First I used some of the sherry, then some of the cream (that was a failure - too thick!) - and then a bit of water. Such frugality gives me great satisfaction.

Comments