Mexican Shrimp Ceviche

When I mentioned I was serving Shrimp Ceviche to our company, my dear husband said it couldn't be Ceviche because that's made with raw fish, and I was going to use cooked shrimp. He may be right, but the inspiration recipe called it Ceviche, so I'm calling it that. No matter the name, he didn't have any problem eating this delicious appetizer. Note that while it goes well with tortilla chips, we actually preferred it on its own, eating it with a spoon.

Mexican Shrimp Ceviche

  • One pound cooked baby shrimp
  • The juice of two limes (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 2 tablespoons sofrito (See recipe here.)
  • 2 tablespoons minced cilantro or parsley
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, optional
  • 1 small avocado, diced, optional
  • 1/2 cup diced cucumber, optional
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients. Chill for 30 minutes so flavors can meld. Serve with tortilla chips.


Notes: 
  1. You can use raw shrimp. If so, increase the lime juice so that it covers the shrimp, and marinate it for 1-2 hours to "cook" the shrimp.
  2. If you opt to add avocado, stir it in at the last minute so it doesn't turn brown.
  3. Instead of a jalapeno, we added two of our mini hot peppers, but removed their seeds first.

Comments