Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake

Earlier in the week, I found this recipe I wanted to try and wrote it down. Then, when Sunday morning came, I couldn't find my notes. I quickly selected another similar recipe and it turned out nicely. That one didn't have any sour cream in it, so I think I might like this one better. I guess I'll just have to make another one someday! For the record, this can easily be turned into muffins. And it works quite well substituting gluten-free flour and using coconut sugar instead of the white and brown sugars. I also poured half the batter into the pan, sprinkled on half the streusel, then repeated the steps. And we didn't bother with either icing this time, but I'm sure that would add a fun touch to your brunch dessert.

Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake

Cake:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Streusel:
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Icing Option #1:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
  • 1-2 tablespoons milk
Icing Option #2:
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1-2 tablespoons milk
For the cake, combine the dry ingredients and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar, then mix in the remaining "wet" ingredients. Stir in the flour mixture. Spread in a greased 9x9" pan. 

For the streusel, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter. Mix in the nuts. Sprinkle over the cake batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.

Decide whether you want a maple or a cream cheese icing. Combine appropriate ingredients and drizzle over the cooled cake.

Comments