Potato Soda Bread

We're having Corned Beef Soup* for dinner and I felt it needed some bread. In the past we would have tried either Irish Soda Bread or Brown Soda Bread, either of which would have gone well, but I felt like trying something new. Enter Potato Soda Bread. It's basically the same recipe with the addition of an egg (which means I didn't try cutting it in half) and potatoes and herbs. I found another variation that includes both mashed potatoes and grated raw potato, but I just grated a cooked potato I had in the refrigerator. Some St. Patrick's Day when we have a large group over, maybe we'll have a contest to see which of the four varieties is the best.



Potato Soda Bread

1 cup grated, cooked potatoes
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/4 cup soured milk (1-2 tablespoons vinegar, then milk to equal 1 1/4 cups)
1 egg

Combine dry ingredients with potatoes. Combine milk and egg. Combine two mixtures. Knead briefly and place in greased, round casserole dish. Bake at 425° for 35-40 minutes. Let set for 20-30 minutes, serve warm.
It's pretty thick and dense and has a unique texture, but tastes great!

*I'm just using the broth leftover from our Corned Beef and Cabbage earlier, and adding chopped carrots, potatoes, onions, cabbage and leftover corned beef. It's a bit salty, so I've watered it down a bit, but I think in the future the leftover broth really isn't worth saving. Anyone think otherwise?


Comments