Brown Soda Bread

It's harder to celebrate the holidays when they fall mid-week, but we tried. Rather than brining my own corned beef, this year I just picked up the package at store. I stuck it in the crock-pot (with some red potatoes, carrots and onions, and only a portion of the seasoning packet) before heading out on errands. Once home, I drained off the liquid, added some fresh water and the cabbage, and let it simmer for another hour or so. 

At the last minute I decided we should have some Irish Soda Bread. There wasn't time to make a large loaf, so we went with some mini ones, and they turned out great. 

Brown Soda Bread

1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sugar

Combine the milk and vinegar and let set for a few minutes to sour. Combine the dry ingredients, then stir in the milk. Knead gently and form into 3 mini loaves. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes.

Note: I halved the recipe I followed, so if you have a larger family, just double it again!

Comments