Ham & Swiss or Beef & Cheddar

I had the pleasure of having our sister missionaries over for lunch the other day. Normally I just open the fridge, see what's there, and eat leftovers for my lunch. However, I didn't think there would be three person's worth of leftovers, and besides I appreciated the opportunity to do something different. I thought about quiche and a fruit salad, but that wasn't something new, and I had served eggs for breakfast that day. Then I found a recipe for Ham & Swiss Rolls that looked intriguing, except for the fact that I don't care for Swiss cheese, and we didn't have any sliced ham hanging around, but we did have sliced beef and Cheddar, so that's what I tried. Our sandwich rolls turned out great - even the leftovers were delicious - and the "clean out the fridge" fruit salad (pineapple, cantaloupe, grapes and strawberries) was the perfect accompaniment.


Beef and Cheddar Rolls

Roll or pizza dough*
Thinly sliced, seasoned roast beef (or ham or turkey)
Sliced Cheddar cheese (or whatever type you want)
1/4 to 1/2 cup butter
1-2 tablespoons finely chopped onion**
1-2 tablespoons mustard (regular or Dijon)
1-2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Roll dough into a rectangle. (I did one about 9x12" for 9 rolls.) Top with meat and cheese and roll up, jelly roll style. Slice into 1" thick pieces and place in greased baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.


* I used a portion of dough from our Oat Wheat Pan Rolls recipe. They were pretty dense, but still good. Other cooks used a can of Pillsbury crescent roll dough, and still others used pizza dough. Experiment to see what you like best!

** The recipe I looked at called for dried onions, so that's what I used. They were pretty crunchy. I saw another recipe that called for fresh, grated onion. I think that would be better.

Comments