Popovers

Today I felt like making popovers, so I did. Basically they're individual Dutch Babies (that's what our family called them - also known as Oven/German/Ocean Pancakes) served as a dinner roll. I was surprised to find I didn't have a recipe for them, but the internet came to the rescue, and I used the King Arthur Flour recipe. This might be a great batter to try with Yorkshire Pudding; we'll see.

Popovers

1 1/2 cups milk
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 450° and lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin.

Bring milk and eggs to room temperature, then whisk together. Whisk in the flour and salt until all big lumps are gone. Stir in the butter. Fill each muffin cup 1/2 to 3/4 full and place in the hot oven. Bake for 20 minutes, then (without opening the oven door), turn the oven down to 350° and bake for 10 more minutes.

Serve immediately.


I kind of like the hole in the bottom!

Note: We tried the Popover recipe in the Thanksgiving Williams-Sonoma Recipe Book, which stated to put the popovers into a cold oven at the start of the baking time. Didn't work! Stick with the preheated oven.

Comments