Yorkshire Pudding

My grandmother was definitely British, even though she was born in South Africa and immigrated to the United States as a young girl. She kept the traditions of respect and propriety that I've come to equate with the British. She also liked to share her food traditions. I didn't particularly care for the annual Plum Pudding at Christmas Eve dinner, but I did like her Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding.

It's been years since I've had Yorkshire Pudding, so I saved the beef drippings from this year's Christmas Roast Beef in order to try that recipe again. It's a good thing I didn't use all the drippings, because last night's "practice run" was a flop! Apparently, there is such a thing as too much grease. I wasn't sure how much batter to make, particularly since I'm only feeding two people. Because of that I thought I'd try pop-over size ones instead of a large one, something I haven't done before. So, here's what didn't work.

Way too greasy!
Heat oven to 450°. Place a tablespoon of drippings in each compartment of a large 6-cup muffin tin and place in oven to heat. Whisk together 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, 1/2 cup flour and a dash of salt. Divide among the muffin tins and bake for 10 minutes.

The timing and heat were correct, but there wasn't enough batter in each cup to rise above the rim, and just a teaspoon of drippings would have been fine. So, we'll just try again sometime!

Sometime turned out to be the next day. I used only a teaspoon of beef drippings in each cup, doubled the batter recipe and made four Yorkshire Popovers. Not quite what I remembered.

Not too greasy, but too dense.
So, we tried again the next day. The original batter recipe with not too much greasy drippings made 3 popovers that weren't too dense. Since there are still some drippings in the fridge, I guess we'll have them again. Maybe this time I'll make one large pudding!

Success!
Yorkshire Popovers

2 tablespoons beef roast drippings
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 450°. Place a teaspoon of drippings in each compartment of a large 6-cup muffin tin and place in oven to heat. Whisk together milk, eggs, flour and salt. Divide among the muffin tins and bake for 10 minutes.

Serves 4-6. Halve the recipe to serve 2-3.

Just to note, links to more British recipes are listed here.

Comments