Blueberry Scones

Earlier this week a recipe for Blueberry Scones popped up on my computer screen, so when I saw some blueberries in the grocery store, I just had to get them so I could try out the recipe. I didn’t think about getting yogurt, but sour cream worked well. These are delicious, and made a great mid-morning snack!

Fresh Blueberry Scones

(scaled for 2-3)

  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut in chunks
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream (or plain or vanilla yogurt)
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (or lemon oil or zest)
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter. Add remaining ingredients and knead gently. On floured surface, form into a rectangle. Cut into 5 triangles and place on baking sheet. If desired, brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes. Serve warm.

What variations of this recipe should I try next???

Note that many years ago we tried a scone recipe that used milk instead of the egg and sour cream, so there’s that option for you as well if you want. 

Note also that this version is better than the one we had last summer, although I’ll keep that one around to remind me of golden berries!

Comments