Fresh Blueberry Scones

Looking at the fresh blueberries and golden berries in the fridge, and wondering how to use them other than in a fruit salad, I had the thought to try scones. So I did! Here's the recipe I used, and because I wanted them to turn out, I followed it exactly. Okay, I substituted golden berries for part of the blueberries.


I grated frozen butter, used real cream, kept everything as cold as possible, tried not to stir it too hard or too much, and was a bit frustrated when it looked like a dry, doughy mess. However, I persevered and got it into a semblance of a flattened dough ball, cut it into slices and popped it in the oven.

When it started smelling heavenly, I took it out and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't look half bad. And it tasted delicious! We'll see if the leftovers taste as good.


I wanted to try a recipe with fresh fruit because from past experience scones are pretty dry and I thought that might help. Maybe I should have stuck with the dry ones! (This one from last year was good.) Even though I was trying to be gentle, while kneading the dough the blueberries got smashed. One recipe I checked said to use frozen ones; that would probably prevent that problem.

Fresh Berry Scones

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, frozen
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 heaping cup blueberries and/or golden berries (fresh or frozen, but don't thaw)

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture and gently combine it with a pastry cutter. Set aside.

In a measuring cup, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the blueberries. Carefully work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to a silicone mat on a cookie sheet. Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into 8 equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Separate the scones so there is a little space between each one.

Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. If desired, combine some powdered sugar with a bit of milk for a glaze  to drizzle lightly over scones right before serving.

Comments