Dutch Oven Pot Pie

Earlier I wrote about the rabbit version of this recipe; today we’re trying the beef version. Since it needs four cups of leftover beef roast, and since we don’t have any of that, I needed to make some leftovers. How often do you have to do that?

Anyway, this seemed like a good use of the Instant Pot, and I was right. A couple of days ago I took some round steak out of the freezer to thaw. This morning I popped it into the Instant Pot, using the rack with a cup of water, and seasoning it with a bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion flakes, following the instructions I found here. I cooked it for 20 minutes on high pressure, and let it release naturally for 15 minutes. It smells delicious and I’m sure will be wonderful in our pot pie later. (It was.)

This time around, using the Dutch oven, we simmered 6 cups of liquid (beef broth and water) and 3 cups each of carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes. After the vegetables were tender, we stirred in the beef, topped it with biscuits, and baked it until they were done.

This version finally had enough liquid, and it tasted delicious! 

Next up – the pork version!!

Comments