Apple Crumble Pie

Someone at church today gave us some apples they didn’t need, so Wayne gets an apple pie for his dinner! Because I’m making it, even though he’d prefer a regular two-crust pie, he’s getting a crumble topping. I discovered that I hadn’t ever recorded that version, so that helped with the decision. I usually follow the Better Homes & Gardens recipe, but this time I also looked at the one on Sally’s Baking Addiction website, and did a bit of combining. If you try it, let me know how you like it!

Apple Crumble Pie

1 single-crust pastry
8 cups sliced apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour (1/2 wheat flour, 1/2 white)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts chopped
1/3 cup butter melted and cooled

Combine apples and lemon juice, and set aside. Combine 1/4 cup flour and the next four ingredients. Then add to apples, stir gently, and put in pie crust. Combine final five ingredients and sprinkle over apples. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Turn oven down to 375 degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes. Cool before serving.

15 years ago our family would have finished this in one sitting; it will take a bit longer in our empty-nester home. Fortunately, I’m pretty sure it will freeze just fine. If it doesn’t, I’ll have to let you know!

P.S. Wayne said this was the best crumble topping he’s ever had. According to him it was a bit on the “nutty” side (that would be due to the wheat flour I didn’t tell him I used), but also that he really liked the spices. Although it would be fabulous with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, it was delicious plain, and I’m glad we both enjoyed our Sunday dessert.

Comments