Vegetable Dips

It’s hard being hungry when you’ve reached your calorie limit for the day!

My dear husband will eat celery and carrot sticks (which are low calorie and much healthier than potato chips), but only with a dip. For years I’ve been trying to find one that he likes that isn’t filled with fat and calories. The one we tried this week was a dud. However, I’m chronicling it here so I’ll remember that, and not try serving it to him again, at least not without making some adjustments to it!

Cottage Cheese Ranch Dip

  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • 2 tablespoons buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon Ranch seasoning*
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine everything in a mini food processer and pulse until smooth. Chill, then serve with vegetables.

*Note: There’s a recipe for making your own Ranch seasoning over here.

A lot of the recipes I looked at called for plain yogurt, but I selected this one because, unlike that ingredient, I happened to have cottage cheese and buttermilk in the refrigerator.  I also know we’ve tried dips using beans in the past, but those have been vetoed for the future. Maybe I’ll just make a batch of the one he created himself, even if it’s not terribly low-calorie. At least we know he likes it!

Updated 5/29/2023:

Here's another one to try: Copycat Lawson's Dip. Basically combine flavored cream cheese (chive and onion) with sour cream and Ranch seasoning. I imagine you could use plain cream cheese and just increase the seasoning a bit. 

However, today I'm going to try a dill dip. We're serving both carrot sticks and potato chips, and this looks like it will go well with both. In addition, I have all the ingredients!

Easy Dill Dip

  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons dried dill weed
  • 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Combine all ingredients. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. (Note: try with about 1/2 the seasonings and see how that tastes.)

Comments