A Williams and Sonoma Thanksgiving

While visiting my dad this month, I noticed a cookbook my mom had used for Thanksgivings in the past, so I asked if I could borrow it. I meant to give it back before returning home, but forgot it was in my bag. Oops! Although I wasn't around when Mom used these recipes, for some reason seeing this cookbook reminded me of the cooking class she took when I was a teenager. As I recall, for Thanksgiving that year we had "real" cranberry relish served in hollowed-out oranges. Trying some new recipes this year helped ease the sadness of not having her with us. I'm so grateful she taught me to love cooking for family and friends.

New recipes: Watercress, Endive & Red Pear Salad, Carmelized Red Onion Relish, Wild Rice & Chestnut Stuffing, Creamy Pumpkin Pie

Thanksgiving Dinner Menu 2022


Watercress, Endive and Red Pear Salad - The recipe actually called for endive and hazelnuts, but I couldn't find those ingredients in our normal grocery stores, so I substituted romaine and almonds. Just drizzle the greens with olive oil and white balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, then plate and "tuck" slices of pears into the greens and sprinkle with the nuts. 


Carmelized Red Onion Relish - This recipe called for creme de cassis, or black currant liquer. I couldn't find that either (although I didn't bother checking any liquor stores), so I substituted a little vial of energy juice I found at Aldi. What a fun find! To make the dish, which was surprisingly good with the turkey, saute sliced red onions in butter for at least 30 minutes. Stir in some red wine vinegar, brown sugar and the secret ingredient, and cook a bit longer. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve warm.



Creamy Pumpkin Pie - We'll stick with our Traditional Pumpkin Pie in the future, but it was good to try this version. Basically, it just added 5 ounces of softened cream cheese to our regular recipe. (That made it a bit too creamy and soft for my taste; I like the "substance" of the original custard concoction.) It also called for half-and-half instead of evaporated milk. It's good to know the two are interchangeable.

Comments