CORD - Sunday Style

That's not COVID, but CORD - otherwise known as "Clean Out the Refrigerator Dinner." Usually that means dump everything together and make a casserole. However, to make the head of the house happy, I try to avoid casseroles on Sundays. No problem. You can have CORD without making a casserole! 

A couple of weeks ago we had Chicken Cordon Blue. At that time I pounded and breaded a couple of extra chicken breasts which I stuck in the freezer. Last night I pulled them out for today's dinner. There was leftover marinara sauce (from the Hot Pockets on Friday), along with opened packages of Mozzarella and Parmesan in the refrigerator. Put them all together and you have Chicken Parmesan.

Normally we serve pasta with that dish, but I found leftover cooked rice (from burrito bowls earlier in the week) and some ricotta cheese about to turn moldy. Googling "rice ricotta recipe" sent me here. No peas or pancetta in our fridge, but there were some spinach leaves and baby bellas and part of a red onion (from last Sunday's dinner), and we decided the creation made from combining all of that was quite delicious.

The red cabbage I bought for our German-inspired dinner has lasted all month, and there's still more. Plain cooked cabbage is not something I'd normally serve with Chicken Parmesan, but today I did. 

That completes our CORD - Sunday Style. Later this week I'll combine the leftovers from our rice concoction with the last of the marinara; I figure that combination will be delicious as well. The food chain continues!

Comments