Using Up Chow Mein Noodles

After a year's hiatus, we're back to ordering Chinese take-out on a regular basis. For some reason, though, we don't use the chow mein noodles they include with each order on the night we eat everything else.  I wanted to compile a list of ways to use them later so they don't languish in the pantry until they're stale. (We also don't use all the other sauce packets either, but I've already shared ideas for using them up.)

Rather than using an old stand-by (see below), I searched for a new recipe, and discovered that Kung Pao Pork makes a very delicious dinner. We'll have it again sometime; I'm sure this would work with chicken or beef as well. 

Kung Pao Pork 

For our version, I sauteed sliced pork loin with minced garlic, chopped red pepper, sliced mushrooms, and edamame. I stirred some sauce ingredients together, and topped with toasted almonds just before serving. 

Kung Pao Sauce

  • 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger root
  • 1 teaspoons Gochujang sauce (because I didn't have any crushed chili paste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
Combine everything but the cornstarch and bring to a boil. Then stir in the cornstarch slurry and cook until thickened.



Regular Chow Mein - Oriental-inspired sauce over the noodles.

Chow Mein Casserole - One of my mom's quick-and-easy dinner recipes.

Chicken and Worms - Very similar to the above, with cashews and olives instead of almonds and celery.

Hawaiian Haystacks - A great choice for personalizing differing tastes.

My Own Concoction - We're still getting Chinese take-out, so we still need to use up the crispy chow mein noodles. This time we mixed cooked chicken and a variety of vegetables with some chicken broth and seasonings (soy sauce, honey, garlic and sesame oil), before tossing in the noodles and letting them soak up the liquid. Next time I might try thickening the sauce, and keeping the noodles separate until serving time. I thought I would prefer them "mushy" but we don't.

Comments