Tomato-Oat Soup

It's time for a series of recipes using oats. While preparing to teach the class, I searched for something more than just oatmeal, cookies or granola. This sounded intriguing and so I had to try it. I doubt my kids would consider it a "favorite" but I actually liked it and would make it again. And if we're ever down to only oatmeal and canned tomatoes in the pantry, I bet they'd eat it without complaining too!

Tomato Oat Soup

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup rolled oats
5 large tomatoes, halved and sliced
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 cups water, divided
½ bunch fresh cilantro (We don't like cilantro so I substituted some dried parsley instead.)
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
½ teaspoon salt.

Heat oil in a deep skillet. Add the oats; cook and stir until toasted. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, 1 cup of water and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and pour into the pan with the toasted oats. Stir in the remaining 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Mix in the salt and chicken bouillon. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Serves 4.

Comments