Our Favorite Pancake Topping

I grew up with homemade syrup for topping our pancakes and waffles and so that's what I'v always served my kids. I guess we could spend a lot of money on "real" maple syrup, but we have other priorities. I'm disappointed that I can't find this

in my local grocery stores, but the brand they have instead does the job. To make your own pancake syrup, combine 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup of water and a couple of tablespoons of light corn syrup. Bring to a boil.
  After it's boiled for a minute, remove from heat and stir in about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of maple flavoring. That's it!
  To store our syrup, I use recycled containers from past campouts. The other day I felt the one we had was past its prime, so I bought a new bottle. My "I don't like change" son revolted! Fortunately, his older brother is here to finish off the bottle so we can refill it with the "normal" mixture. And I guess I'll send a bottle of the secret ingredient with him when he leaves home!

Note: We have at least one granddaughter who doesn't like our "fake" maple syrup; she likes this buttermilk syrup. I figured I should record it so I can make it for her in the future.

Buttermilk Syrup
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
Combine everything but the vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes, then remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

Comments

  1. How funny,David grew up with home-made too, but as soon as we got married he said "I want the
    other kind!"
    I like them both, but I didn't grew up eating syrup with my pancakes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment